3. Defunding Planned Parenthood will reduce abortions.
Contraception prevents the need for abortions, but most politicians who oppose abortion do not support birth control, either. Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.), the chief House sponsor of a bill to bar abortion providers such as Planned Parenthood from Title X, has praised a few elements of the program: pregnancy tests, breast cancer screening and HIV testing. He never mentions Title X’s essential work for 41 years — to provide information about and access to birth control, which 99 percent of Americans will use in their lifetime.
Women spend about five years either being pregnant or trying to get pregnant, and about 30 years trying not to get pregnant; the Guttmacher Institute estimates that half of the country’s unintended pregnancies end in abortion. If Pence wants to prevent abortions, he should lead the charge to triple Title X funding.
Instead, Pence has voted to eliminate Title X, and he has no answer for where the 5.2 million people served by that program would get care. Planned Parenthood centers offer contraception to nearly 2.5 million patients a year and serves 36 percent of all Title X patients.
Barring Planned Parenthood from participating in federal programs would lead to less access to birth control, more unintended pregnancies and more abortions. [read more]
- silas216 reblogged this from pantslessprogressive
- silas216 likes this
- intelligibledirigible likes this
- kevinmcslay likes this
- treatyoselfartie reblogged this from pantslessprogressive
- thecurvature likes this
- banannafish likes this
- mzchief likes this
- heatherinanutshell reblogged this from pantslessprogressive
- randomactsofchaos likes this
- johnulous likes this
- listofnow reblogged this from pantslessprogressive and added:
- hippygrungehipster likes this
- suzifgarcia likes this
- florcautiva likes this
- rebeccam likes this
- politicore likes this
- pantslessprogressive posted this